S. Korea wins gold in League of Legends competition; Faker tops podium
简介HANGZHOU, China -- South Korea won the inaugural title of the League of Legends (LOL) competition at ...
HANGZHOU, China -- South Korea won the inaugural title of the League of Legends (LOL) competition at the 19th Asian Games in China on Friday, helping LOL superstar Lee Sang-hyeok, or Faker, become a gold medalist at the Asiad.
In the LOL final held at China Hangzhou Esports Centre in Hangzhou, China, the team of Lee, Seo Jin-hyeok, Park Jae-hyeok, Jung Ji-hun, Ryu Min-seok and Choi Woo-je beat Chinese Taipei 2-0 to claim the Asian Games crown.
This is South Korea's second gold from esports, which made their Asian Games debut as medal sports in Hangzhou, after one from Street Fighter V was won by 44-year old gamer Kim Gwan-woo the previous day.
Earlier this week, Kwak Jun-hyouk won the bronze medal in the FC Online competition, a multiplayer online football game formerly known as FIFA Online.
At the Hangzhou Asiad, seven esports are contested for seven gold medals. The competitive video game tournaments, especially among professional gamers, served as a demonstration sport in the 2018 Asian Games in Indonesia.
In LOL, the popular multiplayer online battle arena video game developed in 2009, two teams of five players battle in head-to-head combat to destroy the opponent's "nexus," a large structure deep inside the enemy base.
South Korea became the Asian Games' inaugural LOL champions in an invincible feat. It had been undefeated in its five matches at Hangzhou, without even dropping a set.
In the final, South Korea set its lineup of five players without Lee, who captains the all-star team, as it did in the neck-and-neck semifinals against archrival China.
After taking the first set in 29 minutes, both teams battled back and forth in the beginning of the second set before taking the lead in the 18th minute.
Then, South Korea did not allow their opponents to catch up and destroy the nexus. (Yonhap)
In a move to counter escalating copyright infringement issues, the South Korean government announced ...
The 18 trainees vying to be part of the group who debuts with Hybe and Geffen's joint girl grou ...
SK On, South Korea’s leading global EV battery manufacturer, reported Wednesday an approximate twofo ...
'Apgujeong Box Girl' sparks online debate
Seoul shares close tad lower amid mixed US rate outlook
Fifty Fifty’s agency, Attrakt, files W1b compensation claim against The Givers
박성중 "다음 中응원은 드루킹 시즌2…강서구 선거 안심 못해"
Enjoying Halloween in Itaewon sparks debate online
Questions raised over Taihan Cable’s quality control
- 163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
- Beef prices have soared 100
- US strategic bomber B
- US strategic bomber B
- 탄약 찾는 러…국방부 "北컨테이너 적재량, 포탄 수십만발 분량"
- S.Korea's largest
- S. Korea set to open largest
- Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities
- USS Carl Vinson deploys for Indo
- S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
- Disney+’s ‘Moving’ sweeps BIFF’s Asia Contents Awards & Global OTT Awards
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- Seoul condemns Hamas’ attack on Israel
- Cheongju Craft Biennale stresses connection with nature, Jikji legacy
- 'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
- [Korean History] 2002, when Korea soared through World Cup
- In S. Korea, Hamas ambush raises concerns over NK surprise attacks
- US eases export controls on chip equipment for Samsung, SK factories in China
- DB Robotics invents nation's first hybrid electric rollator
- Seoul shares end lower amid conflict in Middle East
- S. Korean women dominate recurve archery at Asian Games
- Shinhan to bet big on insurance tech startup